Ubuntu 7.10 on Lenovo T61

I bought myself a new laptop – Lenovo T61 (15.4″ WSXGA+ TFT, Intel GMA X3100 GM965 integrated graphics, 100Gb 7200rpm HDD, 2Gb RAM, Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz CPU, integrated bluetooth, Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG). I was really tempted by MacBook Pro, but Lenovo with similar configuration was almost twice as cheap, and still provided everything I need. And after all what is the point of running Linux in Parallels on Mac, when you need to develop for Maemo? 🙂

Unfortunately when I bought it in February there was no option to get it without Vista preinstalled, so the first thing I had to do was to install the proper OS. Now Lenovo offers an option to get T-series laptops with SUSE Linux preinstalled.

Ubuntu 7.10 installation worked as a dream – I didn’t have to hack anything at all – everything worked out of the box. Of course I had to configure the system to my needs, but user interface was sufficient for that.

Looking forward to Ubuntu 8.04 release now:

Comments

5 responses to “Ubuntu 7.10 on Lenovo T61”

1. Looks good! How much? Where from?

2. How cool is it to use spaces in Mac, run a Parallels on a screen and be able to switch instantly from Mac to Linux, just running Linux is just geeky 😉

3. Stevey: $1400 from Lenovo US internet shop – took advantage of cheap dollar 😉

Daniel: well, I never said I’m not a geek, he-he

4. а в чем проблема установить на макбук про убунту? зачем в паралели ее запускать – нынешние компьютеры эпл отличаются только дизайном и ценой?!

5. есть люди, которым ближе по духу эппловский UI – а под убунту хорошо, к примеру, веб девелопментом заниматься

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.